Tom Autry is a Texas Christian performer who put out several very smooth albums in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
Tom Autry (Star Song SSR-0001, 1975)
Tom Autry’s début album (and evidently that of Star Song Records as well) is a laid back, beautifully performed album that constantly reminds one of its Texas origins. His mellow vocals and nice instrumentation are a cut above a good deal of Christian music of the era. It’s too bad that he did not receive more recognition at the time, although part of the problem may be that the follow up below.
- Jesus I’m Glad That You Found Me
- All I Really Need (is to Trust the Lord)
- God Is Real (and He Loves You and Me)
- Jesus I Want to Give my Life to You
- Jesus You are the Real Live Sonshine
- As It Was In the Days of Noah
- Walk Me Through Another Valley
- Father, Father I Love You Today
- Jesus, I Want to Walk Closer to You
- If His Light Doesn’t Shine
- Tom Autry–Bösendorfer Piano, RMI 668X Piano, RMI Keyboard computer, Clavinet D6, Elka 490 Strings, Mini-Korg K-2 Synthesiser
- Paul Leim–Drums
- James Pritchett–Acoustic Guitar
- Ernie Chapman–Bass
- Fletch Wiley–Flute, Trumpet, Flugel Horn
- Al Perkins–Steel Guitar, Lead Guitar
- Mickey Raphael–Harmonica
Blood Of The Lamb (Star Song SSR-0006) 1978
The follow up to his eponymous production, this album is an attempt to get to a very “ethereal” sound through styles which can best be characterised as New Age. But somehow he doesn’t quite make it. New Age style Christian music would have to wait a while before it finds expression in viable form.
- Keyboards and vocals–Tom Autry
- Bass and Autoharp–Randy Adams
- Drums–Carl Napoli
- Back-up vocals–B, C and S, Carol Chambers, Janet Harris, and Lisa Munson
- Electric Guitar–John Davis
- Acoustic Guitar–Rick Crawford
- Percussion–Russell Dunlap
- Harp–Dedra Payne
- Sax–Bobby Walzel
- Baroque Trumpet–Gary Rhodes
- Additional Keyboards–Paul Mills
Strings arranged and conducted at Anvil Studios, London, England, by Fletch Wiley.
- Blood Of The Lamb
- Sweet Smell Of Faith
- Is It Wrong?
- Natural Man
- Blood Of The Lamb (Reprise)
- Without You
- I Want To Set You Free
- You’re My Rock
- Sacrifice (Reprise)
Note: I was introduced to his music through the Latter Rain Christian Coffeehouse in Garland, TX. One of its leaders, Archie Lowe, achieved later notoriety as part of the Republic of Texas militia movement.