American football has to be the worst place in our culture for liberals to make a stand like this. It is:
- Competitive, in a culture where cooperation has been deemed to be the norm.
- It has winners and losers, in a culture where no one is supposed to lose.
- It is violent; the left is supposed to be anti-war and anti-violence.
- It accelerates brain damage when intellectual genius has been deemed to be the ne plus ultra of life (but see this.)
- It’s a distinctively Southern emphasis kind of sport; liberals hate the South.
- It takes away people from soccer, which we imported and which is, by virtue of it being an import, superior.
Rush Limbaugh and American football are made for each other. By their own principles, liberals need to be trying to abolish football rather than keeping Rush Limbaugh out of it. But such slips of principle are one reason why I don’t embrace liberalism.