The Seattle-based coffee company says it’s hiking prices on average by 1 percent nationally starting on Tuesday. But it says the price for many drinks, such as medium and large brewed coffees and Frappuccinos, won’t change in most its 11,000 U.S. cafes.
For a small brewed coffee, the price will increase by 10 cents at most. Other drinks could increase by more than that.
We’ve been found out.
“We”, for those of you scratching your heads, are those who have taken advantage of Starbucks’ star system to the max. We have done this as follows:
- Signed up for the program, registered the card, etc.
- Get at least green status, gold is obviously better.
- Go to Starbucks and buy tall a brewed coffee.
- Obtain free refills of same, no longer necessary to buy a larger size.
- Earn one star for each visit, just as you would for your Frappuccino, cappuccino, etc.
- When you meet the quota (which was recently lowered from 15 to 12) splurge. Big time.
- Avoid the calories of the expensive drinks, which makes weight control simpler.
Evidently Schultz and Co. have had their canful of this but don’t want to admit it, so they bump up the price of the tall coffees while leaving the grande and venti sizes alone. But even at that, if you have the discipline for this program, it will pay off.
And, to address the issue of the day both for Starbucks and its opponents, there is only one real civil marriage equality and that is in its abolition. Period. Anything else just doesn’t cut it.