Word of God W/G 7711 (1977)
This is another in a series of albums that the Word of God put out featuring their worship songs and the music group that led them. It has an interesting mix of songs, including some of the community’s own (Psalm 8, Psalm 18,) non-Catholic choruses (Therefore the Redeemed, Our God Reigns) and an ancient Catholic hymn (Holy God, We Praise Thy Name.) It also includes Pauline Mills’ Thou Art Worthy, which is performed by the composer elsewhere on this channel.
I keep getting heat about my opinion of the musical style and performance on these albums, but I really think that, as was the case with other groups, from a creative and performing standpoint, this album is not up to the standard of the earlier ones.
1977 was a turning point year for the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, with the Kansas City conference. It was also a turning point for me in that I considered and declined to join the Community of God’s Delight in Dallas. I think this may have been the first Word of God album I bought and the others came later.
- Ex. 24:3,7
- Isaiah 60
- One Thing I Ask For
- Hallelujah, Our God Reigns
- Lift High the Banners of Love
- Therefore the Redeemed
- Psalm 18
- Psalm 8
- Thou Art Worthy
- Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
- Our God Reigns
- Producer: James J. Cavnar
- Conductors: Donald E. Fishel, Donna Kelly, Abbie Root
- Performers: Chorus and Orchestra of the Word of God
- Orchestral Arrangements: Donald E. Fishel, Donna Kelly, Richard Rhodes, Linda Speck
- Recording Engineer: Henry J. Root
- Cover design and photography: Gerry Rauch, John Leidy, Charismatic Renewal Services, Inc.
- Back Cover Photograph: Jack Taipala